24.10.16

LA COSTA DEI TRABOCCHI



This summer, as I do nearly every year of my life, I spent part of my summer in the village on the seaside where my dad comes from: Vasto, located right on the beautiful Costa dei Trabocchi in Abruzzi region, in central Italy.
Trabocchi are an old fishing machines typical of this coast, nowadays protected as historical monuments. 

These constructions whose existence dates back to 18th century always fascinated me. Trabucchi were built in the most prominent promontories jutting nets out to sea through a system of monumental wooden arms: an ingenious technique of fishing which wasn't subject to weather conditions in the area.
 
Trabocco Vasto Marina

Motta Grossa beach

Trabocco Punta Aderci




This summer we enjoyed exploring the coast just outside the beach resort of Vasto Marina. We found a few favorite beaches in Punta Aderci Natural Reserve - where one can swim right next to such cultural and architectural symbols. 

Just outside Vasto, beaches are free, reasonably easy to reach with a nice walk and definitely less crowded. The water is crystal clear and the sound of waves breaking on pebbles is simply beautiful. One can enjoy nature to the full here. I felt like like time has not changed it much since I was a child. 
Trabocco Punta Aderci
Trabocco Cungarelle

Trabocco Cungarelle
Motta Grossa beach

Trabocco Punta Aderci



The Trabocchi Coast is a stretch of coast province of Chieti, which includes the countries situated between Francavilla al Mare and Vasto. The coast is full of these quaint fishing structures, some of which have been converted into restaurants, like Trabocco Cungarelle, where we enjoyed a lovely dinner to celebrate my birthday (more about this another time soon).

I am now so aware of the special connection I developed over time with this place.
Do you have a special place where you love to return to each summer? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

hi! leave a comment, I will be happy to read from you in english, italian or dutch. Don't forget your name and thanks for visiting.
..............................................................................................................................

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...